Wednesday 24 August 2016

Mk 3 so far


Good evening!

Okay, ideally I would have started this blog as Mk 3 was announced, and I could have started writing directly, chronicled all my games and generally seem like an on the ball-kind of guy! Alas.

So now I’m 24 games into Mk 3. Except the very first game, where I played Nemo3 (which honestly was Mk 2,5 rather than Mk 3) I haven’t strayed very far from the obvious casters for Cygnar – Haley2, Haley3, Caine2, Sloan:


  • 6-2 with Haley3.
  • 6-0 with Haley2.
  • 4-3 with Caine2.
  • 0-2 with Kara Sloan.
  • 1-0 with Nemo3

… Apparently Sloan isn’t for me.

This adds up to 17-7 which I’m sort of happy with. I’ve played in one tournament so far, a 12 player affair which I got lucky enough to take down with a 4-0 record, and participated in one training weekend for the Swedish WTC teams.

Not surprisingly I’m happy with Cygnar in Mk 3. We definitely feel like one of the top factions in the game, maybe 2nd to Retribution. I guess the actual ranking depends on how far Wurmwood can carry Circle, haha. I do wish they had buffed stuff like Stormblades a little more (or maybe Storm Lances should’ve been less buffed.. ) so we could see a little more variation in our lists – it feels a lot like Storm Lances, battle group and sometimes Trenchers wherever I look nowadays.

Currently I’m playing Haley2 and Haley3, just as I did in the latter parts of Mk 2. To me they’re definitely the two strongest warcasters in Cygnar still, though casters like Caine2 and Sloan certainly came a bit closer with the edition change.

The lists I’m playing right now are these:


Should've gone for less contrasts in the swirling cloak.


Haley 2 [+25]
– Ironclad [12]
– Thorn [13]
– Stormwall [39]
– Squire [5]
Journeyman Warcaster [4]
– Firefly [8]
Storm Lances (min) [12]
Captain Arlan Strangewayes [4]
Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress [3]

This list is stolen from Olannon.



I’ll edit in a picture of Haley3 when I finish painting them.

Haley 3 [+25]
– Grenadier [9]
– Grenadier [9]
– Ironclad [12]
– Thorn [13]
Journeyman Warcaster [4]
– Charger [9]
Storm Lances (max) [20]
Trencher Infantry (max) [16]
Ragman [4]
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord [4]

The thought behind the pairing isn’t all that interesting: as I said above I think these two casters are the two strongest ones in Cygnar right now. They’re also both very fun to play and the lists vary enough that the best choices against each list vary at least somewhat. Furthermore, it’s the two casters in Cygnar I have played the most in Mk 2 so I’ve got familiarity pointing me in this direction as well.

This early in Mk 3 I don’t think I can predict the meta to good enough a degree that I can take a main list and then make an off list to cover its worst match ups, so instead I’m bringing two main lists. Obviously there are some differences in which matches each list work well into, but they’re both very strong generalist lists.

That’s it for now! Next up is, hopefully, a battle report, on Tuesday or Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment